Wednesday, January 20, 2010
  Oooh, regulating sarcasm. What a useful idea...
Where has this indispensible piece of punctuation been all my life? I can't for the life of me think how I survived without it:


A cartoon of a pierced ear designed to denote sarcasm - so useful, so necessary, so exquisite. I suppose the Nobel Prize for Literature is a forgone conclusion this year. And on a personal level, what a joy for me. After years of flailing in the dark for meaning my friends can now see when I'm being sarcastic and follow my instructions to act as I deem appropriate, ultimately allowing them to empty the storage space in their brains clogged up with data accumulated through them getting to know me. In truth, I would have preferred some kind of written disclaimer, maybe: ''The following sentence is a product of sarcasm, please do not take it literally; please do feel stung and diminished.'' But no, I'll take this accessible symbol and clasp it to my bosom. After all, where's the fun in making sarcastic statements if you cannot telegraph them in a nice, orderly, obvious manner.

This sainted device is intended for written sarcasm, but it shouldn't be limited to this medium, no sir. One can blunder with sarcasm and make faux pas in spoken conversation too. Perhaps I should print my very own Sarcmark, blow it up and make flashcards to hold up
so I can draw on its powers in conversations in the real world too. I could even plaster it across my chest and rip my shirt open to reveal it, so that whenever someone asks me my opinion about the proposed Bad Boys III, I can reply ''yes, it will certainly be a work of genius to match the first two. A work of the High Renaissance'', and onlookers will comprehend that my thoughts belie my words and that in fact I am slightly less than favourably inclined towards another round of that crap. I could stamp the Sarcmark on my forehead. That certainly would aid communication. That would make me more likeable.

TV executives could use it too. A flashing Sarcmark could pop up in the corner during those snooty comedy shows like Curb Your Enthusiasm and The Office, where a studio audience has not been granted to viewers to signpost the laughy bits. Look, here's birthday boy Tim, evidently pleased with his new hat. He's even saying so. We should all feel really happy for him, despite that odd tone in his voice. But, uh-oh, with Sarcmark flashing in the bottom right corner of the screen you can see that...hehe...Tim is in fact, not pleased with his new hat. Audience, commence laughing now.


And look at me - being sarcastic about the Sarcmark, that's original. Pretending to overreact to generate meta-sarcasm. I trust no one else on the internet will do that. And I do hope nobody abuses the Sarcmark, attaching it to statements that are not intended to be sarcastic, therefore using the Sarcmark in a sarcastic manner. The multiple layers of sarcasm would build on each other and propel us into a black hole of sarcasm. But if used sincerely...well, the Sarcmark could raise our collective state of being, end wars and propel us to a brighter future. Oh thank you Sarcmark, thank you, THANK YOU. THAAAANNNKKK YOOOOUUUUU

(Seriously, thanks a lot...)

(Seriously, seriously, I really am very happy about this idea, and eagerly anticipating the first signs of it in my inbox)

(But seriously...)



 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed on this weblog are not necessarily shared by Jesus, God, Mohammed, Barack Obama, John McCain, Ralph Nader, Marxists, Communists, Muslim fundamentalists, tree huggers, Amnesty, Global Warming, any other members of the Axis of Evil, Coalition of the Willing and/or Unwilling, holy entities, nor the authors of this weblog.

Sister Blog
Martha's Mania
"Your IQ must be this high to enter."
Recent Posts
Political Rants
The Knight Shift
Pentagonlies (cool conspiracy theory video!)
Sorry Everybody
Wake Up & Smell the Fascism
Pink Dome
Take the Political Test
Vox Day
GASH
Random Bastards
Fetus Spears
Darth Vader
I HATE MUSIC
Mulch
Archive




Powered by Blogger